PO Box 342
Webster, WI54893

 
Minutes of YLRA Board Meeting July 26, 2014 at Zia Louisa

(To be reviewed and approved at the August 9, 2014 Board Meeting)

President Jon Papke called the meeting to order at 8:00 AM. A quorum was present.

Attending  

Jon Papke, President
Ed Collova, V.P.
Ken Schultz, Secretary
Marie King, Treasurer

Chuck Eifler
Tony Rutter
Dennis Kruger

 

Absent:  
David Guay
Nancy Lewis

Pat Amundsen, Alternate

It was reported that the bog at the narrows between the two lakes has not been removed as yet.

Ed reported that he has installed the sign "Caution Strong Current/Low Bridge Ahead" on the gauge house at the narrows.

Ken gave the Secretary's report covering the Minutes of the 5/10/14 Board Meeting. Marie made a motion for approval, seconded by Ed, and the motion carried.

Ken reviewed the draft of the Picnic report asking for feedback. Ken will send the revised report to Marie for the newsletter. The status of the bridge between the two lakes was brought up at the picnic. Jon answered that we will have an update presented at the Fall Mtg. Chuck volunteered to contact Union Township Chairman for an update and arrange for a speaker at the Fall Mtg. Ken will send Chuck copies of the correspondence covering YLRA financial commitment to Union township regarding a new bridge.

Marie gave the Treasurer's report stating the bank balance on 7/21/14 was $95739.93 and the last check written as of the same date was #5811. Marie has not as yet received a bill from Eric Lindberg on the spring camera installations at the three public landings. Marie has paid the bill for the YLRA P.O. Box. A notice has been received from our insurance company regarding our liability insurance. The renewal cost is $900 per year for a 3 year period. Jon will review the coverage we have. Marie received on 7/16/14 a notice from the IRS regarding our non-profit tax exempt status. The IRS has received our request documents and will act on them within 90 to 120 days. We have also received from the IRS a notice on our Federal Tax Filing. There are no penalties involved. The state tax forms need to be submitted once we received notification on our non-profit status. Ed and Marie will meet to review our financial position prior to the Fall Mtg. Ed made a motion for approval of the Treasurer's report, seconded by Chuck and the motion carried.

The board discussed the contract we have with Matt Berg covering the Curly-leaf Pondweed (CLP) surveys and the Aquatic Plant Surveys on the two lakes and river. The CLP survey was to be conducted in May and June and the Aquatic Plant Survey is to be completed in September 2014. Jon will ask Dave to contact Matt Berg and ask him if he can make a power point presentation on the results of the surveys at the Fall Membership Mtg. Matt will also be asked if he can attend or give us a report for the 8/9/14 meeting.

The board also discussed the consulting contract we have with Cheryl Clemens of Harmony Environmental regarding grant applications and weed harvesting. Cheryl's work on grant applications can't begin until the results of the Matt Berg surveys are complete. Cheryl's work on recommended companies and cost estimates for weed harvesting will begin as soon as her schedule allows.

The board discussed the request Jon received from Chuck Govin of the Burnett County Development Association (BCDA). The BCDA has approached WE Energies about the potential for expansion of natural gas service in the County. The BCDA feels that an area that looks like it has good potential for installation of natural gas to replace propane is the shoreline area of Big and Little Yellow Lakes and Yellow River. Chuck asked if he could meet with YLRA to discuss the interest in this matter. Jon will contact Chuck Govin and ask if he can attend our fall mtg for a presentation and question/answer session.

The board discussed the Fall Membership Mtg to be held at the Fort on 9/13/14. Ken will contact Nancy Burmeister for a proposed menu and work on the setup of the meeting room. YLRA will provide the coolers, ice and pop for the meeting.

The fall election of board members was discussed. Jon, Ed, Marie and Dennis all agree to be candidates. All will send their bios to Marie for the next newsletter. Ken will not run again. We still need 3 candidates for the open board and alternate positions. Ed volunteered to find election judges. The newsletter needs to be printed on August 7 and mailed Aug 9 so response on the number of lunches can be given to the Fort in a timely manner.

Jon reviewed the changes to our By-Laws that the By-Law Committee is proposing. There were no questions or suggested changes. Ken made a motion, seconded by Ed, that Jon presents these changes to the membership at the Fall Mtg for their approval. The motion carried.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 AM.

Respectfully submitted,
Kenneth Schultz, Secretary